Monday 13 February 2012

Publicity Officer Manifestos

1.      Name: Apeksha Agarwal
Position: Publicity Officer
Making this very brief and easy to remember– My name is Apeksha Agarwal and I’m running for the position of the Publicity Officer.
I am from Kodaikanal International School, the oldest IB International School in India. Foreigner students often find it difficult to settle down in university due to many reasons. However, I overcame such hurdles instantly due to the exposure I had in school. Two crucial years of my life were shaped amidst a global society where people from various nationalities lived on one spectacular campus. I have sailed through the mutual barriers you might be facing today due to these factors. This is my second year at Exeter University and my confidence has only escalated with time. A tennis aficionado, I captain the ladies’ tennis team at the university. Our community has been growing at the university and we warmly welcome all those who wish to be a part of it.
We all share a common culture, a rich culture consisting of various events which we all celebrate back home. We need to keep this spirit alive and for that I have a few suggestions:
·         Although we welcome one and all to be a part of our events, members will be offered special schemes and offers.
·         Maintain an up to date social network thereby keeping everyone informed of upcoming events via facebook and on print as well.
·         We all share an enthusiasm for other cultures as well; I’ll be working to establish connections and partnerships with local clubs, eating joints and other popular places to avail special offers and schemes for our community members.
These are the best years of our lives and I endeavour to further highlight these good times for our ever growing community. Let the world know that Asia has arrived and with it brings a diverse culture and a global mindset.
2.      Name: Neha Bindal
Position: Publicity Officer
My name is Neha Bindal and I would like to run for the position of Publicity Officer.
I know I will be good for this job because I have participated in every Asian Society event till now and have been an active part of the society. We were told that in order to be a Publicity Officer, one has to be creative, social and innovative. I think I have all these qualities. I learned art for about seven years so I can bring new ideas for developing our campaign. I have also learned Kathak along with jazz and Indian bollywood dancing for about four years. I have been a Treasurer before so I know what it takes to organise an event. I was also the Prefect of my school.
What I have learnt in my time, as a member of Asoc, is that, ‘we win together and lose together and of course losing is not an option’. Kidding. I believe in teamwork and once a job has been given to me I try to complete it with full dedication and commitment.
As Virgil rightly said, ‘They can because they think they can’ and I know I can.
3.      Name: Esha Kayan
Position: Publicity Officer
Being a part of the Asian Society committee will be an absolute honour for me. Writing this manifesto actually got me thinking why I want to become a part of this wonderful committee. Is it because of the present committee members, who have helped not only me but also many others to comfortably settle down in the university? Or just wanting a post in the committee will help me communicate with other people, make new friends and discover who I actually am and what I am capable of?
Honestly speaking, all of the above are true and there are many more reasons other than these why I am seeking the post of a publicity officer. I want to– actually I hope to – become a part of the Asian Society committee because it’s not a society, but rather a group of close friends. Working with close friends has always been delightful. This is a platform which will not only help me build good relations with people but will also help me discover what I am actually capable of doing.
From my past experiences of being a house captain in my school days, I have noticed this talent in me of organizing events and reaching out to the public to try and make a difference in the community. I have seen the current committee put in all the hard work in improving the Asian Society and their determination makes me want to go the extra mile. I hope my efforts and hard work make a difference in the committee as well as the society.
4.      Name: Radhika Sethia
Position: Publicity Officer
Being an Indian I have a strong passion towards India and the Asian Society in Exeter. I have grown up in London which made me realise how much the Indian culture has to offer on a global platform. My ambition is to scatter our rich culture across the world and I would like to start by being part of the Asian society.
As a student, having spent two years in Exeter now, I am aware of the needs and emotions one has to battle in order to stay away from home. Exeter is a home away from home and the Asian Society helps in making a student feel comfortable and aids in creating lifelong bonds and developing friendships between people from versatile backgrounds. I am keen to run for the position of Publicity Officer in this society as I’m studying marketing and management which has given me a broad outlook on how important it is for any event to be well publicised for it to be a success. This course provides the fundamental skills required to take on this responsibility.
Prior to university, I have participated in many prestigious events such as Harvard Model Congress in Bangkok, where I was awarded Best Delegate. Taking part in this global conference gave me the exposure and taught me how to deal with people from different countries. At the end of the conference, we had to come up with a common resolution and in order to make it pass we had to convince people to vote for our resolution. This taught me how to persuade people and work as a team. Being head of commercial projects for SIFE has given me the leadership skills a society strongly needs. Therefore, I feel I can do justice to such a position as I have the skills needed. I hope my input to this society excels the society in a positive way.
5.      Name: Nafeesah Younis
Position:
Publicity Officer
In my second year, I have gained a lot of experience in being a part of a committee through my role as 'Events Organiser' in the Islamic Society. This has enabled me to get both a taste of committee life, including all of the responsibilities it entails, and improve my understanding regarding the processes involved in marketing an event.
Though the end product normally appears flawless, I am now fully aware that the work and the stress that goes into organising an event requires the utmost attention and is far from easy. In order to market events, it is essential to be confident and able to approach strangers. This is a skill I have perfected as my role has necessitated that I interact with members of other societies and encourage them to attend events. Also, during the rapid hustle and bustle of fresher's week, I volunteered to help with the marketing – an experience which was very intense yet very rewarding.
Already I have many strong links with various societies, both members and committee members, so if I became publicity officer I would not be starting from scratch. Rather, I have already built the foundations and made myself known to the university community. My links with committees from other universities and the general Exeter public are also strong, whereby I am currently in contact with both Cornwall and Plymouth societies. It is also necessary for a publicity officer to have an eye for colour and design, whereby he/she will be responsible for the designing of posters that will appeal to the general public. Throughout my year on the Isoc, I have been closely involved in the editing process for our posters as I have often been the point of call for the publicity officer before anything has been released to the general public.

No comments:

Post a Comment